Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Heartbreak.

New girl in school, just moved from Saint Louis, upset because she misses people back "home". I never thought I would relate so much to a first grader. Anyone who knows me would have guessed the person I was talking about was myself. A little one during handwriting is looking down, but obviously not concentrating on the letter 'M'. I check on her, "doing okay sweetie?" she looks up at me with tears rolling down her cheeks. Heartbreak, I tell you. Such true feelings from such a young life. Sometimes I forget they are just as capable as feeling what we feel (thou as smaller doses, yet still true; unless of course they are trying to get out of work... Ms. Teacher can tell a faker!). I bring her aside and talk for a bit. She misses family in Saint Louis, she just visited them over the long labor day weekend and they were fresh on her mind. I remind her I'm from Saint Louis and how I understand her feelings. Boy oh boy do I understand them. We tell happy stories about our weekend and try to remember the joy to set aside the sorrow. A hug and she's back off to the letter M, feeling refreshed and glad she got her emotions out.

If only I could function as a six year old at times.

No comments: