For a world full of people who can be creeps and do terrible things, I'd have to congratulate myself for finding just the opposite today. There's something so refreshing about meeting random people who are just genuinely nice.
I had searched craigs list for some free furniture to try and nab for my new place and had several places to visit. It was a very busy day, at some points disappointing because you can only fit so much into a civic, but i'm mostly glad to say it was a day filled with productiveness and happiness. I started early, worked hard throughout the day, and ended up with almost no money spent and plenty to show for my work; a TV stand, two armless cushy chairs, a very nice black table I'm particularly proud of (had to take it apart to fit it, but i was determined), a world globe, several children's books, and a sweet game of Pictionary. In between my furniture craig's list stops I came across dozens of garage sales. Today must have been the Fall opening of Garage Sale Season because everywhere I turned there were tables piled high and the smell of gently loved items with 15 cent stickers attached was in the air.
One of my favorite stops was a craig's list house that was supposed to have smaller items like CD racks, picture frames, and smaller items of the like set outside free for whoever gets there first. I pulled up to the house and no items were to be seen, "dang too late I thought". The person living there just happened to be in the driveway getting something out of their car. I asked if I missed the rush and she told me everything was gone in like 10 min, except a tv was left. She nicely offered to show it to me. On the way to see it i casually mentioned how i was moving and have no furniture so today was searching day. Her response was "What do you need?" I was confused by the question, but told her i have a bed, dresser, and rabbit. She then yelled into the house for her daughter to open the garage. She walked me inside and pointed around like it was a store,"well what would you like" Unbelievable. On monday I will be picking up a filing cabinet, end table, very cool long shelf stand thing, a set of dishes, and possibly a vintage looking TV built into a case with drawers and all. So nice they were! She didn't mind one bit me returning the next week to pick up. She just said SURE SURE and gave me her number. I quickly called a friend with a truck after driving away and set up a day to get it all. Called the nice lady back and set up the pick up time. While we were on the phone I asked her if I could give her any money for everything she's giving me and she replied "no, no, I'm just glad to help you out" Holy crap! She never even met me before and was so content with just seeing how excited i was to be getting all this furniture. And my day continued with just that luck.. Its those kind of random people you meet that really show you how the simplest things can change you. I hope they make all other people they come across feel as awesome as they did me because corny as it is, kindness is contagious. I smiled at every person I saw today. It was one of those days you thank God for the bad days because you realize just how amazing life and people can be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment